Sunday, September 28, 2014

Running


I'm starting to say and do things I never thought I would say or do. Such as....

I'm running. I'm a runner.

I've hated running all my life. In high school I ran just enough to get permission to head down to the high jump mat. I have mocked those who say they are joggers as crazy people. Why would anyone want to go outside and purposely run if they weren't being chased by rabid dogs?

But one day I just had this inexplicable urge to feel the wind through my hair, to run like a child, free. So I started running. And I haven't stopped. Every other day I go for a run down my country road.

And every run, I pick up a rock. It's something to hold onto, to rub with my thumb with every step. It's a physical reminder of my desire to take care of my body, to become a stronger woman physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

I'm in my 40's, and it's time to get serious about this life of mine. It's time to take care of my body. It's time to be able to run more than 10 yards without getting winded.

No comments:

Post a Comment